Nurture Your Passion

I will be in New Mexico, at the Grand Canyon, and volunteering at Best Friends Animal Society (no-kill sanctuary). Best Friends is driven by the philosophy that kindness to animals helps build a better world for all of us. Their work is supported entirely through the donations. The sanctuary is home, on any given day, to about 1,500 dogs, cats, horses, rabbits, and other animals. For more info on the sanctuary and what they do, check out www.bestfriends.org.

09 September 2006

Cats a.m. & p.m. - Last day :(

Today is my last day and I am very sad. There was a change in my volunteer plans, to the disappointment of many of you; I will be volunteering in the "special needs" cat house all day. They need all of the help they can get, as you can imagine, and I can't resist all of the special cats there that need affection. Paralyzed, neurological, geriatric, incontinent, and having FIV and cancer, they all need so much care. I am so amazed with this place and in complete awe of the people who work here, day in and day out. The pay isn't anything to be envious of and it is alot of hard work but it truly is a labor of love. I always thought I was too much of an idealist but after my visit here it was proved to me that you can love what you do EVERY DAY. No one here has ulterior motives, is striving for a raise, is brown-nosing their way to upper management, "suggests" 11 to 12 hour days and working 7-day weeks without any intent of doing so themselves, or makes their reports feel incompetent. And while everyone here is different, all have the common thread of caring for animals; animals that were thrown away because they weren't perfect or the novelty has worn off or they aren't "designer" pets, made famous by the media. All of the creatures here have a place and are very special. They all deserve care and to feel secure. They are all known by their names, not numbers, and every caregiver knows each one's personality and quirks. My heart and soul have found a home here, this is what I want to do. (Don't worry, not right away ;) .)

My sleepover dog was an absolute sweetheart with eyes and ears that would melt your heart. I was disappointed to return her and not have anyone around to take our picture together. She also watched as I drove away which made me cry (although I'm sure it effected me much more than her). I have new neighbors and they seem very nice. Too bad I'm leaving tomorrow. After my afternoon of volunteering I will be headed to the visitor's center to shop a little (I'll just keep repeating to myself "It's for the animals, it's for the animals, it's for the animals..."). I would love to bring Bruce the cross-eyed siamese mix home or Fanny because she is in need of a caring home, but (and some would say thankfully) I wouldn't want to put anyone through the stress of flying home. I think I'll just need to plan a drive out here... hmmm, we are shutting down over Christmas... See you and talk to you all soon; there will be a ton of pictures for you all to see! I think I will post them on webshots or something when I get back.

Cynthia - I will be on the lookout for the shady dog lady but I think yesterday was her last day and I unfortunately didn't have my camera with me. I'm glad you liked the plants :)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel so bad that you have to leave. I definitely think you should start planning your next visit. Can't wait for the photos too! Tried calling your cabin last night but it was always busy. If I don't talk to you, have a safe trip back. Miss ya!

09 September, 2006 16:36  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gina, I am so happy that you are having such a great experience with caring for such needy animals. Hope to see you soon!

09 September, 2006 21:14  

Post a Comment

<< Home