Nurture Your Passion

I will be in New Mexico, at the Grand Canyon, and volunteering at Best Friends Animal Society (no-kill sanctuary). Best Friends is driven by the philosophy that kindness to animals helps build a better world for all of us. Their work is supported entirely through the donations. The sanctuary is home, on any given day, to about 1,500 dogs, cats, horses, rabbits, and other animals. For more info on the sanctuary and what they do, check out www.bestfriends.org.

07 September 2006

Dogs a.m. & Horses p.m.

I had a great time today with the dogs! I walked 6 dogs - a total of 3 miles of trail in sandy soil. What a workout but so much fun! A few of the dogs I walked: Virgil - a very shy greyhound mix, Quizno - an also shy, beautiful hound mix, Ogy - a sweetheart pitbull mix, and Drake - a 10 year old mix, given up because his owners of 10 years said he was ripping up the new landscaping :(. They all had such personalities; it's going to be hard to pick one for my "sleepover"! I didn't get to spend time with any small, yappy dogs ;) but they are kept in a different area to keep them safe from the 50 pounders and up. I met Michael Mountain today, president of Best Friends. He spoke at today's lunch. I think I also met one of the original founders; he was asking me about being here and I was so excited about my day that I was gushing and forgot to ask who he was. And I'll tell you about the extremely annoying volunteer I met this morning who, so kindly - not, took me under her wing. She only found out about BF 3 weeks ago and thinks she knows EVERYTHING about it because she started reading the book. I was getting so annoyed that people thought we were together just because I was wearing my University of Wisconsin t-shirt and she happened to be from... you guessed it, Wisconsin. The shirt was a good conversation starter though. I really enjoyed my afternoon with the horses. There were a few hardcore "horse people" and some "cowboys" but all were very nice and super friendly. I painted 2 crosses for the horses that are buried there, mucked out 4 pastures (just like scooping a litterbox - not bad), and then went around and fed all of the horses in all 6 pastures, including the sheep, goats, and donkeys. I met: Appy - a horse that was going blind so he'd knock into you to be petted, even while I was mucking. He was a riot, almost knocking me down and then chewing in my ear. I couldn't help but laugh, and the caregiver laughed, when I said to Happy "You're rude!". Grandpa Bernie - an elderly donkey who really fit his name, grandfatherly looking and ornery (but not mean, just vocal) and, Dee - the 45 year old horse who came in weighing 600 pounds about 10 years ago (~500 pounds underweight). These are just a few, obviously, who had personalities I was able to appreciate. I noticed today how different various animal people are. The "dog people" are very different from the "horse people" and some animal people really have no people skills. I did meet 2 non-annoying volunteers at lunch. One of them came alone like me; I may have dinner with her tomorrow so our sleepover dogs can get together and have a play date. Sleepovers are very important in seeing the dog's personality out of the kennel setting and it increases their adoptability. I met alot of Katrina dogs, some with very sad stories, and I was amazed at their adaptability. Most dogs in general here are painfully shy. I also stopped at Angels Rest, the cemetary here. Thought about Gabe and how much I miss him and also thought about Kitty. It was a very peaceful place, with hawks (sorry Cyn, I don't know what kind they were) soaring overhead. I tried to upload pictures but dialup is so slow that it timed out in the process - sorry. I have to head to town for a corkscrew (for the bottle of wine I wanted to open last night to celebrate being here while sitting under the full moon surrounded by desert sounds) and some creamer for coffee. I only have one grocery store choice, the other is a Morman run one that doesn't sell anything with caffeine in it or alcohol. I'll try to upload at least a few pictures later but I'm not promising anything. ;) Night!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gina, so glad to hear that you are having lots of fun.. I am so happy for you and I am sure you are enjoying every minute of it. I can hear you telling the story and I am laughing along with you about your new "best friend".. can't wait to see you when you get back my helpermaid!!!.. Brittnie

07 September, 2006 23:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home